FALSEHOOD #13: Biden falsely claimed that “no U.S. presidents elected before Donald Trump were racist.”
EXPLANATION: This is false for multiple reasons. For starters, many of the alleged claims of Trump being racist have been debunked.
Here’s a list of just some of the claims that have been debunked–
- Trump called neo-Nazis “very fine people.”
- Trump tear-gassed BLM protesters at Lafayette Park for a photo op.
- Trump called all Mexicans rapists and criminals.
- Trump called Mexicans animals.
- Trump said “white power.”
- Trump said “send her back,” in reference to Rep. Ilhan Omar.
In addition, several other Presidents have been identified as racist in the past. Andrew Johnson, Woodrow Wilson, and Lyndon B. Johnson were all very rascist. (FUN FACT, THEY WERE ALL DEMOCRATS)
Austin, S., & Jacobson , L. (2020, July 27). The long history of racism in the US presidency. Politifact. Retrieved December 14, 2022, from https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jul/27/joe-biden/long-history-racism-us-presidency/
Lee, E. (2020, October 30). Fact check: 12 of 28 comments deemed racist on viral list are Trump’s direct speech. USA Today. Retrieved December 14, 2022, from https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/30/fact-check-12-28-trump-comments-deemed-racist-direct-speech/6062530002/